Paul Wallace, Black Dog MalbecPaul Wallace, Black Dog Malbec

Paul Wallace, Black Dog Malbec 2018

(3 reviews)

This is the tenth vintage, from Paul Wallace, of his Black Dog Malbec. The wine is named for Paul’s favourite (black) dog – Jake.

The blocks are harvested separately, and fermented in stainless steel. 80% are then aged in French oak barrels, to soften and season the wine, and the remaining 20% aged in concrete amphora, to emphasise a fruit-driven profile.

The wine itself is lean, dark and intense. Expect notes of blueberries, blackberries, blackcurrants and juicy red plums, with a hint of spice and silky tannins. A memorable wine with a lot of character; one that embodies the elegance of Elgin fruit.

90pts | Platter's


In stock



LightFull Bodied


​​The 2018 Paul Wallace Black Dog Malbec is the tenth vintage made from grapes produced on our own farm, Wallovale Vineyards. It is named after Paul’s beefy black shadow, a cross Labrador/Rottweiler, named Jake. The Malbec grape is also known as the Black Grape and it is this characteristic that has been incorporated into the name.

The three individual blocks that comprise our Malbec plantings each have their own unique profile due to different row direction and training systems. Each block was harvested separately, each contributing it’s own unique building block. Left on the skins, post fermentation before being transferred into 225 and 300 lit French oak barriques, where MLF took place. The wine spent approximately 18 months in wood with a 20% new wood component. 15% was matured in a concrete egg, contributing towards the fruit driven profile and adding yet another building block to the final compilation.
Much like the dog the wine is dark in colour, well-muscled intense and full of character. The Black Dog Malbec presents with an intriguing somewhat exotic nose, conjuring up hints of blue berries, black berries, back currants and juicy red plums. The entry onto the palate is a satisfying fruit-filled mouthful of both red and black fruits linked by a thread of spice and held together with silky tannins – just enough to contribute to food friendliness. The Black Dog Malbec is a truly memorable wine which reflects the natural elegance we have come to expect from Elgin wines.

The ideal accompaniment to red meat dishes, beef steak, game or slow roasted lamb or should it take your fancy, sit in front of a fire, sip slowly and dip into a bowl of pistachio nuts or biltong.

Additional information



Wine Farm







Red meat dishes, game and slow-roasted lamb.

3 reviews for Paul Wallace, Black Dog Malbec 2018

  1. | 92pts

    “Consultant viticulturist Paul Wallace and wife Nicky acquired a run-down Elgin apple farm in 2004 which they have gradually converted to vineyard, Malbec being a particular focus with three parcels featuring different row directions and trellising systems having been established.

    Whereas most local versions of this variety are full and rich to a fault, the soon-to-be-released Black Dog 2017 is a light and rather pretty wine (alcohol: 13.14%). The nose displays violets to go with black fruit while the palate is marked by pure fruit, fresh acidity and ever so fine tannins. Made by Johan Jordaan at Spier, the final wine includes 5% Petit Verdot and was matured for 15 months in mainly French oak but also a small portion in concrete egg.”

    Christian Eedes, Winemag

  2. IWSC | 90pts – Silver

    “A rich, earthy nose leads to a velvety, blueberry palate full of juicy acidity. A tad of soap stone adds mineral notes while a surprising fruit lift on finish delights.”

    International Wine & Spirits Competition

  3. 90pts | Platter’s

    Small portion concrete ‘egg’, rest older French barriques. Lots going on in dark-toned, elegant 2018; layered fruit, liquorice, herbaceous nuance, supported by smooth-textured succulence. More complex than 2017.

    Platter’s 2022

Leave a review

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *