Eikendal-Sauv---600x900Eikendal-Sauv---600x900

Eikendal, Sauvignon Blanc 2022

EIKENDAL
Situated in the “Golden Triangle” of wine growing, at the foot of the Helderberg mountains, Eikendal vineyards flourish in a mountain and maritime microclimate, ideal for the production of quality wine.

While the above is true of Eikendal, they cast their net slightly wider in search of the perfect Sauvignon Blanc grapes – these they source from the cooler climate of Elgin. At an altitude of 350m above sea level and frequently covered by cloud cover, Elgin offers the perfect terroir for Sauvignon Blanc.

Prior to fermentation the grapes are destemmed and crushed. They then spent 4 hours on the skins before being pressed – the free run juice and press juice were fermented separately, without the addition of any artificial yeasts. 20% of the wine was fermented in concrete eggs, which adds structure and mouth-feel to the wine, while the remaining 80% was fermented in stainless steel to preserve the fruit. After 5 months on the lees, the wine was racked and bottled.

A beautiful melange of tropical fruit, from melon to gooseberry to guava, are accentuated by the aroma of freshly cut grass. All of this follows through on the palate with a lively acidity, full mouth-feel and long finish.

£16.70

In stock

Stellenbosch

Sauvignon Blanc

Bone-drySweet

Description

The Eikendal Sauvignon Blanc 2022 has lovely tropical fruit, melon, Cape gooseberry, guava and a fresh grassy green aroma on the nose that follows through to the palate. The wine has a full mouth-feel, with a lively, delicate acidity and a long, pleasing finish.

Cultivar:
100% Sauvignon Blanc

Vineyards:
All the grapes are meticulously sourced from the Elgin Valley. Elgin offers a very cool climate at an altitude of 350m above sea level and is optimal for premium Sauvignon Blanc production.

Vitification:
We focus on two different clones of Sauvignon Blanc which offer a desired blend of fruit-driven flavours, combined with more earthy asparagus and fig flavours. Canopy manipulations range from extreme leaf removal to minimal intervention to produce these specific flavours. Vine spacing is 2.4m x 1.2m and during most vintages the grapes are grown without any irrigation.

Vinification:
All blocks are kept separate through the Vinification process. The grapes were picked in the early morning where they were cooled down before being delivered to the cellar. After destemming and a soft crushing, the juice enjoyed approximately four hours of skin contact followed by a gentle pressing. The free run and pressed juices were kept separately. The next 48 hours saw the juice then settling below 10ºC with minimal intervention. Fermentation was completely spontaneous and natural with no addition of artificial yeasts. During this time the wine stayed on its primary lees. 80% was fermented in stainless steel tanks and 20% in small, egg-shaped tanks. Blending took place five months after harvest.

Wine analysis:
Sugar: 3.4 g/ℓ; Total acid: 6.2 g/ℓ; pH: 3.30; Alcohol: 13.5 vol%

Maturation: Up to 2-3 years if cellared correctly

Serving suggestion: 12ºC-14ºC.

Additional information

Grape

Sauvignon Blanc

Vintage

2022

Wine Farm

Pair with Goats’ Cheese, Oysters, Artichoke or Pesto Gnocchi.