Eikendal, Classique 2018

(2 reviews)

A rich and powerful Bordeaux blend with full flavours of blue and black fruits, earthiness and Cellar Master Nico Grobler’s signature freshness.

Ripe red and black fruit flavours mingle with tobacco and dusty savoury notes as a result of the oak treatment

A wine with impressive concentration and freshness that is earmarked for a potential to age beautifully.

94pts | Tim Atkin

£29.80

In stock

Stellenbosch

Bordeaux Blend, Red Blend

LightFull Bodied

Description

CULTIVARS
58% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc, 2% Petit Verdot.

EIKENDAL
Situated in the “Golden Triangle” of wine growing, at the foot of the Helderberg mountains, Eikendal vineyards flourish in a mountain and maritime microclimate, ideal for the production of quality wine.

The Eikendal Classique 2018 is subtly rich and powerful with full perfume flavours of blue and black fruits, earthiness and Cellar Master Nico Grobler’s signature freshness. It shows perfectly delineated red and black fruit, seductive oak spice, fresh acidity and fine tannins due to careful extraction and the judicious use of oak.

VINEYARDS
The Stellenbosch vineyards that were planted in 2003 (Cabernet Sauvignon Clone 46 and 163, Merlot Clone 192 and Cabernet Franc Clone 1) are some of the oldest vineyards on the estate and grow on the south-eastern slopes of our estate.

The vineyards are trellised in the Vertical Shoot Position trellising system on decomposed “Koffieklip” (“Coffee Stone”). Only the first grapes are used. Specific leaf removal is applied to reduce green flavours and enhance fruit, colour and structure.

VINIFICATION
Each variety was handpicked and vinified separately. The grapes were sorted into the cellar and only destemmed and not crushed. It underwent long and slow cold soakings of between 10 and 15 days before spontaneous fermentation in small, stainless-steel tanks with one to two punch down by hand each day. The wine was separately aged for 12 months in custom-made 300l French oak barrels. The wines were blended and oaked for another six months before being bottled and kept for another 12 months before release.

Additional information

Grape

Bordeaux Blend, Red Blend

Vintage

2018

Wine Farm

Alcohol vol

14.7%

Origin

Stellenbosch

Pair with Roasted Pork Shoulder, Côte de Boeuf, Cheese.

2 reviews for Eikendal, Classique 2018

  1. 94pts | Tim Atkin

    “Containing the highest ever percentage of Merlot at 58%, with the remaining 42% made up of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, this won’t be released for a while, but is well up to quality of previous releases. Dense, grippy and compact, it’s still very youthful, yet has impressive concentration and balance with damson and blackberry fruit, some liquorice and vanilla spice and impressive underlying freshness. 2023-30”

    Tim Atkin 2021 SA Report

  2. 94pts | Platter’s

    “Lifts merlot from 29% to 58% in 2018, with cab, cab franc, petit verdot. Ripe fruit aromas mingle happily with tobacco & dusty savoury notes speaking of 40% new oak. More depth of rich fruit, less obvious sweet ripeness than Cab & Merlot, in good balance with structure. Still youthful.”

    Platter’s 2021

Leave a review

Your email address will not be published.

Location