Eikendal, Chardonnay 2019

(2 reviews)

Made with grapes from Eikendal’s own property as well as cooler climate Elgin.

Notes of orange peel and white-peach surround a mineral core. Acidity, from Elgin fruit, brings a freshness and tightness on the palate.

Toasty, well-integrated oak from barrels custom made by a top Burgundian cooper – some of which are untoasted to retain purity of fruit.

93pts | Tim Atkin

£22.80

In stock

Elgin, Stellenbosch

Chardonnay

Bone-drySweet

Description

Eikendal
Situated in the “Golden Triangle” of wine growing, at the foot of the Helderberg mountains, Eikendal vineyards flourish in a mountain and maritime microclimate, ideal for the production of quality wine.

The Chardonnay 2019 has notes of orange peel and perfume with a freshness, and tightness on the palate. A mineral core with strong acidity is driving this wine. Small complexities with all its secrets still close to its chest.

VINEYARDS
80% of the fruit comes from Eikendal vineyards with the remaining 20% sourced from Elgin.

Elgin – The Bone Structure
Planted in a valley with high clay content it has very cold evenings and more humid days for Elgin. The block is not irrigated and so vines are in survival mode all the time bringing us closer to that mineral core that we are searching for.

Eikendal – The Marriage of Granite and Bush Vine
These blocks are planted way up the Helderberg Mountain and are on the highest point of Eikendal overlooking False Bay.

Vines only receive post-harvest irrigation thus NO irrigation before harvesting. It is planted in decomposed granite with gravel and white clay +/- 60-80cm deep. Fully exposed to the South-easterly winds and receive cool air from False Bay. This is the perfect area for growing Chardonnay and my approach to growing these vines always keep them in survival mode. There are no big flavours or big tannins but rather pure granite. The perfect marriage.

VINIFICATION
The different vineyards are very small. Winemaker produces one, two or maybe three barrels from a site. All individually crafted with their own unique character.

All vineyards are handpicked and cooled down to 1°C before entering the cellar for whole bunch pressing. Racked to stainless steel tanks where the spontaneous fermentation will start. Winemaker will allow 50% of the fermentation to be completed in stainless steel tank and then he moves the must to barrel.

Each block has its own unique batch of barrels. 80% of the barrels are custom made by Burgundian Winemaker Bruno Lorenzon from the forest Pierre du Bourgogne and 20% is from Stephane Chassin.

Bruno Lorenzon barrels are untoasted; this gives us extreme purity and tightness on palate. Chassin gives us flinty, salt-like character. Previous vintage wine will be racked out and the new fermenting must will be pumped onto the lees of the previous vintage. Thus, the 2nd fill barrel has 2 vintages of lees, 3rd fill three and 4th fill four vintages of lees in. This adds more complexity.

Barrels are 500l and 15% new is used. No bâtonnage or stirring. After blending, the wine goes to stainless steel and are allowed to settle clean. We will do a very rough filtration and take it to bottle.

Additional information

Grape

Chardonnay

Vintage

2019

Wine Farm

Alcohol vol

12.5%

Enjoy with lightly grilled salmon or a creamy curry.

2 reviews for Eikendal, Chardonnay 2019

  1. 93pts | Tim Atkin

    “Sold as a Western Cape wine because it combines fruit from Stellenbosch and Elgin, this is still dominated by grapes from Eikendal’s own farm, grown on decomposed granite. With toasty, well integrated oak from a top Burgundian cooper, it’s spicy and taut with real grip and intensity. 2021-25”

    Tim Atkin 2021 SA Report

  2. 92pts | Platter’s

    Offers stonefruit & citrus quite forcefully – though not too much for the rather delicate elegance of the whole. 2019 bright, fresh & clean, with an infusing succulent freshness. 30% new oak supportive, adding breadth & texture rather than flavour. WO Western Cape.

    Platter’s 2022

Leave a review

Your email address will not be published.

Location