De-Grendel-Viognier---600x900De-Grendel-Viognier---600x900

De Grendel, Viognier 2022

De Grendel sources their grapes for this Viognier from a block of vines, 200 metres above sea level, and only 7km from the cold Atlantic Ocean – both of these factors assist in cooling the vineyard, yielding an elegant wine.

After careful selection in the vineyard, handpicked bunches are destalked and crushed. The juice is allowed to settle prior to fermentation beginning. 70% of the wine is fermented in stainless steel in order to maintain the beautiful fresh, fruity characteristics of Viognier. The remaining 30% is fermented and aged for 3 months in Romanian oak barrels to add a creamier component to the wine.

Expect a bouquet of floral aromas – honeysuckle, jasmine and lavender – to mingle effortlessly with beautiful stone fruit – apricot, peach and nectarine. Despite what one would expect from the nose, the palate of the wine is dry with a lingering finish.

88pts | Platter's

£16.30

In stock

Durbanville

Viognier

Bone-drySweet

Description

The Vintage
During 2021, a late winter and spring lead to a late harvest season in 2022 with 3 small compact heat waves in January. Above average crop, quality and quantity wise.

Viticulture
High up on the western slope of the Tygerberg, roughly 200 metres above sea level, 7 kilometres from and in sight of the Atlantic Ocean, the Viognier vines are nourished by well-drained blue, broken shale soil with areas of gravel and sublayers of clay. Utilising the VSP trellis system, a typical harvest produces 7-8 tons per hectare

Vinification
Viognier berries begin to shrivel towards ripeness, a unique variety characteristic that necessitates careful sampling and tasting before harvest to ensure balance and complexity of flavour is achieved in the wine. Handpicked bunches are destalked and crushed, with the juice settling before inoculation. The majority of the juice is fermented in stainless steel tanks in order to maintain its fresh fruity characteristics, while the remaining 30% is fermented and then aged for 90 days in Romanian oak barrels for a creamier, complementary complexity before blending back into the tank portion. This is followed by protein stabilisation, cold stabilisation and bottling.

Tasting Notes
The Viognier flavour profile highlights the gentle and delicate floral fragrances such as honeysuckle and jasmine. In fact, Viognier is one for wine enthusiasts who love a sweet-smelling bouquet, but without the sugar. Its aroma is packed with Turkish apricots, ripe nectarine and juicy yellow cling peaches.

Food Complements
Spicy food is where Viognier really shines. And there is no better spicy candidate to pair Viognier than Pad Thai – a stir-fried rice noodle dish typically made with shrimps, vegetables, bean sprouts and tamarind sauce. Other than that, any mildly spiced Asian or Indian dishes will work perfectly, regardless of the meat used.

Analysis
RS: 2.5 g/l
pH: 3.35
TA: 6.1 g/l
Alc: 13.73%

Additional information

Alcohol vol

13.7%

Grape

Viognier

Origin

Durbanville

Vintage

2022

Wine Farm

Viognier pairs particularly well with spicier foods - think of the medley of flavours the East offers. Ranging from a more mild Pad Thai to a spicy Vindaloo.

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “De Grendel, Viognier 2022”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Location