De Grendel, Op Die Berg Pinot Noir 2021

(2 reviews)

960 metres above sea level, high on the Witzenberg Mountain in Ceres, these vines are blessed with incredible climatic conditions.

Cool nights and warm days allow for slow ripening, leading to deliciously concentrated fruit, with a clear cool-climate influence.

The berries were handpicked; 30% were destalked, and the remaining 70% were whole-bunch fermented. Partial aerated pump-overs were used to encourage a long, slow fermentation, which develops deeper colour and flavour.

The result is a deep ruby wine, bursting with notes of strawberry, cherry, raspberry and earthy morel mushrooms. The finish shows delicious persistence on the palate.

93pts | Platter's


Out of stock

Ceres Plateau, Durbanville

Pinot Noir

LightFull Bodied


The Vintage
High on the Witzenberg Mountain range in Ceres, at an altitude of 960 meters above sea level, this unique ‘appellation’ exhibits South Africa’s only truly continental climate with winter temperatures frequently dropping below freezing. The cooler night-time temperatures and hotter daytime temperatures during the growing season results in slower ripening and more concentrated fruit. Ceres fruit displays surprising cooler climate characteristics in comparison to other regions of the Western Cape

Well-drained, soft, yellow shale soils. In winter, the vineyard soil is often covered with a layer of snow which provides the perfect conditions for dormancy of the vines, a much-needed resting and recovery period before the growth season starts.

Tasting Notes
The wine has an intense and deep colour. Enticing nose of red berry fruits and delicate touches of morels. Elegant entry with subtle aromas of strawberry and cherry, followed by the wine’s tannin making itself felt, and finally the finish shows delicious persistence.

30% of the hand-picked harvested batch was destalked while the remaining 70% was whole-bunch fermented. Before fermentation, cold maceration was allowed for 4 days. The juice was inoculated with yeast and the fermenting must gently, and only partially, punched down twice a day using the aerated pump over method. The partial punch-down ensures a longer fermentation period resulting in more colour and flavour development. Following a gentle basket pressing, the wine was transferred to new French Oak barrels for malolactic fermentation before being transferred to a combination of older barrels to mature for 13 months.

Food Complements
Delicious when served slightly chilled during the warmer summer months. Enjoy with a delicious charcuterie platter, freshly baked bread, and roasted onion marmelade.

Additional information

Alcohol vol



Pinot Noir


Ceres Plateau



Wine Farm

Sautéed mushrooms with rosemary and thyme.

2 reviews for De Grendel, Op Die Berg Pinot Noir 2021

  1. 90pts | IWSC 2022

    Mixed black fruit, ripe red cherry, light raspberry and herbal notes on the nose. Chalky tannins with lifted acidity showing subtle and persistent wine.

    IWSC 2022

  2. 93pts | Platter’s 2023

    ‘Op Die Berg’ name given to wines from high-altitude Ceres Plateau vines. 2 vintages tastes. Characterful & deliciously perfumed 2021, strawberry, fynbos & earth in sleek silky body, finishes savoury. Good prospects. 2020 similar flavour profile , hitting its stride now.

    Platter’s 2023

Leave a review

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *